We believe that a successful student...
- Understands that life-long learning is essential for productive and responsible participation in a diverse and changing world.
- Can identify and master knowledge, skills, and attitudes that will benefit him/her throughout life.
- Is motivated and takes responsibility for his/her learning and personal conduct.
- Enrolls in a rigorous academic program of study designed to develop individual talent.
- Must have equal access to public education that promotes optimal growth.
- Utilizes technology to explore a world of ideas and information.
We believe that an effective school...
- Endorses a clear and focused mission which eliminates fragmentation of effort and promotes student achievement.
- Provides a safe and orderly environment conducive to teaching and learning and to the development of character and ethical citizenship.
- Provides a climate of high expectations that fosters learning and provides quality education experiences for all students.
- Engages in shared instructional leadership that is collaborative and promotes school improvement efforts.
- Provides opportunities to learn and time on task through interdisciplinary instruction, performance-based assessment and real world application of knowledge and skills.
- Frequently monitors student progress to ensure accountability.
- Encourages and develops family, school, and community partnerships.
- Prepares all students to be a University of Maryland system completer, a career/technology education completer, or both.
Back to Top
We believe that an outstanding school system...
- Respects the dignity and worth of every individual.
- Provides programs and service based on needs, characteristics, interests, and capabilities of each student.
- Provides an effective principal in every school and an effective teacher in every classroom.
- Offers a challenging, ethically diverse, multi-cultural curriculum.
- Insists on a results-oriented, data-driven focus which is based on continuous growth and evaluation.
- Defines expectations and holds all personnel accountable for results.
- Ensures that every employee models ethical behavior, exhibits a strong work ethic, and achieves high performance standards.
- Engages in fiscal responsibility to the taxpayer.
- Takes respnsibility for recruiting, developing, and retaining qualified, caring, motivated, and competent employees.
- Provides equal opportunity and encouragement for every student.
- Identifies needs and manages resources effectively and efficiently.
- Values diversity.
- Provides competitive salary and benefits package to employees.
- Provides effective leadership and supervision at the central office level.
Back to Top
We believe that in an effective classroom, the teacher...
- Takes responsibility for the motivation and success of every student he/she teaches.
- Recognizes that every student is unique and has special abilities and interests that must be acknowledged and developed.
- Has a responsibility to engage every student in learning, problem solving and decision-making.
- Reflects on his/her teaching practice and provides opportunities for success by using a variety of teaching techniques that meet multiple learning styles.
- Has achieved mastery of content knowledge and teaching skills and continues to seek opportunities for professional growth.
- Is responsible for modeling good work ethic, citizenship, personal values, and social skills.
Back to Top
We believe that a supportive community...
- Recognizes that public education is the foundation of a democratic society.
- Values education and cherishes children.
- Provides adequate resources and demands excellence.
- Recognizes that all citizens have a stake in public education.
- Is compelled to make an investment in the future of our youth.
- Creates and maintains a stable, supportive environment for education.
- Fosters regular and open communication among the home, school, and community.
- Respects and appreciates students and school employees.
- Actively supports our commitment to challenge all students to achieve their potential.
- Is responsible for establishing values and expectations that support the learning process.
- Works together to create a better future.
Back to Top
On This Page...
Outstanding School Systems